Sunday, December 16, 2007

balance

I would imagine that my struggle to find balance is a pretty universal thing among almost all stay-at-home-moms and work-at-home-moms. I have yet to find a balance between:

a) working out / eating right / taking care of myself and my family
b) spending quality time with the kids - going fun places, reading to them, doing crafts together, etc.
c) getting together with friends (both mine and the kids') regularly
d) working on my business

It seems like whenever I really focus on one of those things, everything else falls by the wayside. For quite a while I was going to the gym 6 days/week and eating pretty healthy. Since I began really focusing on Sarah & Abraham, my gym visits have gotten less and less frequent, my ice cream consumption has increased significantly, and I've gained about 10 pounds.

When I make it a priority to prepare fresh, healthy meals that my family will eat without complaint, that effort seems to take up an extraordinary amount of time.

When I make it a priority to get together with friends, go to playgroups, and do fun stuff with the kids during the week, there doesn't seem to be much time for anything else.

So what's my point? Well, just that I really plan to make this whole "figuring out a balance" thing a priority for 2008. Surely there's a way to make it all work. I always thought that I enjoyed "taking each day as it comes", but I probably really do need to create a schedule and stick to it - something my husband has been suggesting for about 3 years now.

I'll keep you posted on my progress... and advice from anyone who has it figured out (or is getting close to figuring it out) would be welcomed!

3 comments:

Carry Grace said...

I too am trying to find balance. It is definitely hard. Let us know if you come up with some tips.

Vana said...

Ahh...the balancing of things, i think we all try and it will take a lifetime to achieve it. I share the same thoughts as you, and up until a couple of months ago, i would stress over everything, and i found myself feeling hopeless...from feeling i wasn't brave enough to handle everything...But this my friend, is a common struggle. As a working from home mom, who just undertook another side job, i say "God can't give you more than you can handle"....I try each day a little more to achieve what i need to bring me closer to my goal.
I will be checking in to see your progress and share my thoughts...

Kasie @ ~The Art of Life~ said...

Oh how I understand this!!
It's good to know that we all work at it.
But look how far you've come. That's encouraging.
:)